Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Fun and excitement

Wow, a lot has happened since the last time I wrote. Last Wednesday I was at work when I got a phone call at around 8:45 am from the Sagadahoc County Sheriff's Department telling me that my mother had fallen outside her house and may have broken her hip. My mother? Breaking your hip is something that happens to old people. But of course my mother is almost 66. So I went to the hospital and stood around for about an hour and a half before I could talk to her. I could see where she was and I could hear her, so that helped. Fortunately she had her cell phone, otherwise who knows how long she would have been there. She said a couple of her neighbors drove by while she was laying there. Hello? Do I have to put up a sign that says "Look for old lady on ground"? Anyway, the fixed her hip and they say she will be as good as new. She was kind of hoping for a new hip so she would be bionic. You can't have everything. She is doing well and in surprisingly good spirits. She keeps calling herself "zipper hip". Have I mentioned my mother is the funniest person I know?

Now she is at my sister's house recuperating. I don't know if I will ever let her back in her house alone again. It is a horrible, offensive mess. She has to use a walker for 8 weeks. There is no way she could even get through her front door with that thing. This has just fueled me and my sister's belief that she can not spend another winter out there. She lives in the tundra. In a big house full of junk. And did I mention she's old? I always liked having older parents when I was a kid, but now it is starting to suck. I can see what my future is going to be like and it is quite depressing.

I am sure I had more things to say, but it took me 2 days to write this and I have lost my train of thought. Oldness is setting in.

Off to find my cane.

1 comment: