skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Lists
Yesterday was devoted to my once-a-week grocery shopping trip. I started this a few weeks ago because I came to the conclusion that I go to the grocery store far too often. Once upon a time when I didn't live near a grocery store, I made sure to buy the majority of my necessities in one trip instead of going 4 or 5 times a week. That is my new goal. Living 3 minutes from the grocery store is sometimes a curse because I think to myself: "I don't know what to have for dinner, I'll just go to the store", which, invariably, places undue stress upon my life and we end up not eating until sometime around midnight because there are too many choices at the store and we all know how good I am at making a decision. The main component to my new plan is a very specific, detailed list. Too often I write down a couple of things I need and figure I will remember the rest. Well, I don't until I need it to make some delicious meal and we end up eating mac and cheese from a box. So I spend a long time working on this list and planning out what we are going to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, not to mention snacks, for the next week. I finish my list and get my coupons and reusable grocery bags and head off for what is usually a lengthy adventure requiring multiple stops. I hate that we have so many grocery stores because there are certain things I can only get at one or the other. I go to Hannaford for seafood and sometimes other things depending on the sales; I go to Wal-Mart for a lot of things even though I hate it because some stuff is much cheaper, however, I refuse to buy produce there because it looks like it came from the dumpsters of the other stores; but most of my shopping is done at Shaw's because it is 3 minutes from my house and it holds a special place in my heart, and they have good produce and a deli counter. So the point of all this rambling is that I spend all this time trying to make this come off without a hitch, but, as we all know, nothing works that way in real life. Most often the snafu involves my list. Two weeks ago I lost it in between Wal-Mart and Shaw's. Yesterday I left it at home. Luckily Erik was here so I could call and copy it down while standing in the aisle at Hannaford. So that was my fun and exciting Saturday. Not to mention, we are supposed to have ANOTHER storm, so everyone and their third cousin was out stocking up in case we all get stuck in our houses by the snow, because that happens so often around here. I love people.
I feel like going into hiding and sleeping for at least a week. However, tomorrow is Monday, so I will be back to work at 6am. I work a full week this week, and then next week I only work Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday because it is February vacation. You know what that means. In less than 2 weeks, my baby is going to be *excuse me while I wipe away the tears* 7. How did this happen? I don't recall seven years going by. I think I need to start looking at canes and walkers, because the "golden years" are approaching rapidly. As my dear, departed grandmother always told me: 'The golden years are hell.'. Looking forward to it.
I need to go do something. I am almost done with my Harry Potter book, so I am tempted to finish that. I should really do housework, but that's not nearly as fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment